“Character” is often described as who you are when you THINK no one is looking.
This may or may not be the “technical” definition, but I think it sums it up nicely. Character can be the most beautiful trait a person possesses, or it can be the most disappointing. When I think of character and its GLORY, I think of my amazingly good husband. He lives with more integrity than anyone I have ever known. He is profoundly honest. He is fiercely loyal. He says what he means and he means what he says. Yes, I am biased. However, I chose him not just because he is utterly adorable, but also because of this beautiful and unmatched character.
I am a very idealistic person. This is a good thing in that I am typically positive, I believe in goodness, I savor joy and I relish all the beauty life has to offer. The bad side of seeing things through rosy colored glasses is that when “humanity” rears its ugly side and character is thrown out the window, people like me find themselves deeply disappointed.
Take my beautiful State of Wisconsin. Last year, our State turned on the Democratic Party and elected a fella named Scott Walker for Governor. I’m sure you have heard of Mr. Walker by now, as his antics have become quite famous. “Infamous” is probably a better description. I remember being younger and not caring about politics. I remember not voting, and not worrying about these things, it was sort of an aire of indifference. I so enjoyed that care free time!
Now I am a mother. I am a wife. I am a tax payer. I am a woman who sees that we need to do everything we can to make this world better for everyone. I want to be proud of the country I live in. I want to be awed by people’s kindness, compassion and creativity. I want to feel the warmth in people’s hearts. I am a mother, and I am still an idealist.
I am having a really hard time understanding Scott Walker’s unwillingness to negotiate and work with the people of Wisconsin. I am having a hard time understanding why he thinks that HIS way is the ONLY way. I am deeply disappointed that he is bullying his own policy through the system with blatant disregard for how it is going to affect our schools, and our small communities. I am sickened by the fact that he gives large corporations cuts and he makes the local secretary of the school give him what amounts to $3000 a YEAR. I am sickened. Then we must go back to the issue of character.
Much has been made of the “prank call” wherein Scott Walker thought he was speaking to his uber-rich crony, Mr. Koch. When he thought NO ONE was listening he said things like “they are not like us” and “I will get them back here, but not to negotiate. “ He showed his true colors in that call. Surely the caller was being deceptive as he pretended to be someone he wasn’t. However, it doesn’t change the truth of the scenario and that is—Scott Walker is not a good person.
I voted in our gubernatorial election. I can say that I did NOT vote for Scott Walker. Lots of people did, though. Lots of right wing, tea- party folks RAN to the polls and proudly placed their vote for Scott Walker. The irony of this is that the “tea party” movement and the extreme right are supposed to be SO grounded in their Christian faith. This is where I become baffled. I think that perhaps my idealistic nature perceives Jesus as a peaceful, accepting man. I see him as someone who embraces ALL people and who reaches out to the sick and down trodden. I see him as a pacifist and a true disciple for kindness, compassion and generosity. My Jesus unites people, he brings them together, he is not divisive and he does not judge. Jesus is a leader, he reaches out his hand to all and he has an open heart.
Maybe the Jesus I know is a hippy? Maybe the Jesus that the Tea Party folks know is a totally different fella? I can’t quite figure it out. How can people who are supposedly SO rooted in their religion be so politically and socially exclusive and divisive? To me, it is utter hypocrisy. I love Jesus, but gay couples should not have the same rights as hetero sexual couples because they are engaging in depravity. I love Jesus, but I don’t want to work with the democrats or negotiate a middle ground like he would. I love Jesus, but since I love being right more—screw Jesus.
To me, this is all so very sad. It clouds up my rose colored glasses.
No comments:
Post a Comment