Tuesday, August 16, 2011
Giddy Up!
There is no creature on earth more peaceful, patient, or soothing than a horse. It is almost as though they have a magical spirit about them. I went to my orientation today for volunteering at SMILES. It is a special organization here that does equine therapeutic riding for adults and children with disabilities. People come from ALL over the area to participate. Different schools, group homes and then even individuals come to SMILES to ride. It is an incredible place.
As a volunteer I will get to lead the horses and\or side walk to help keep the rider safe and stable while he or she is riding. I will also get to groom the horses and get them ready for the class sessions. To say I am excited about this is a bit of an under statement. I have wanted to volunteer here for SO long. I love horses, and I love people. To be able to work with both of those groups in such a positive and motivational way--what a gift. I can't wait to get my training started and then start working!!!
Aside from just being with my kids, being involved in their school, and being the first person they see when they are done with school each day, I also wanted to be an at home mom so that I could use my time and skills to volunteer. I have gotten some advice from other stay at home moms who say that you should not take on TOO many volunteer opportunities at one time. Apparently it is very easy to get in over your head. So for right now, I am going to keep my work at the kids' school and then at SMILES. I am pretty sure that with both of these, my house duties, and working out, I should have some pretty FULL days ahead! :)
Before I left my job, I truly had been feeling like something was missing. I felt like I wasn't doing anything meaningful. I felt like the imprint I was making on the world was insignificant. I wasn't doing things that really mattered to me. I am so grateful that I am now being offered the opportunity to live my life with the purpose that I want it to have. Life is constantly evolving, and truly, it is a beautiful thing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment