Thursday, July 14, 2011

Happy EIGHTH Birthday, Aidan Hamilton!

My Dear Son,

  I need to start this birthday letter out with a little apology.  You have been on this earth since 2003 but it wasn’t until this year, 2011, that I thought to write annual birthday letters to my children.  For that, I am sorry!  Don’t worry though, it will certainly be a tradition going forward.
This year you are turning 8 years old.  It’s astonishing how fast our time together has passed.  Since you were born, all I really wanted was to be able to freeze time, freeze moments, freeze your giggles, and your goofy sentiments.  You were my first born, my first miracle-my angelic son.  When I saw you for the first time, I knew for sure you were absolutely the most beautiful child that was ever born.  You were healthy and bright, and calm.  You were the fulfillment of everything I had ever dreamed.  All I wanted in life was to marry an amazing man (your daddy—wow does he fit that bill), and then have babies, and then live happily ever after.   You see, son, I am a romantic.  I believe in love and beauty and romance.  I believe that the true “wealth” in life, comes from those things.  I never lose faith in them. 
You know what is so great about that?  YOU are a romantic too.  Even in kindergarten you fell in love.  Puppy love- innocently following the little girl around the playground.   You aren’t the kind of boy who teases or terrorizes the girl you adore (believe me though, most boys your age do).  Oh no, you are the one who tells her she “is the most beautiful girl”.   You sit beside her and then you come home and tell us all about it.  I love this about you.  I love how your heart is so open.  Your open heart will make for beautiful relationships in your future.  I know that it will also mean some heartbreak for you, too.  This will be so very difficult for me to watch. 
You see, my desire to protect you is very, very intense.   Because of your gentle nature and your soft heart,   I always worry for you.  I worry that people will hurt you, and I worry that they will try to change you.  I don’t want the ugliness of the world to ever change that magical heart of yours.  I always pray that your heart will remain pure and that you will never lose sight of all the beautiful treasures of the world. 
I see you relishing that beauty every, single day.   You get such a thrill watching your plants grow and flower.  You notice when I color my hair or get my toenails done.  You are the first one to point out a particularly gorgeous sunset.  You are a constant observer of the world, and you seem to truly appreciate natural wonder. 
I secretly hope you will decide to be a veterinarian someday.  Okay, it’s not a secret.  It’s just that when I watch you with animals, it is such magic.  You have this calming effect on them.  They rest their heads in your hands, and they look into your eyes, and that is all they need.  Your soul was made for comforting animals.  You truly have a gift. 
Aidan, I can’t even put into words how very proud we are of you.  You are such a treasure to us.  Your kindness, compassion, silliness and love have made our lives so rich.  I love watching you grow and change.  I love hearing what you think about the world.   I hope that you always know that daddy and I have your back.   We are so lucky to have YOU as our son- YOU with the golden heart, YOU with the angelic soul.



We love you more than you could ever know.
Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment