Thursday, September 22, 2011

What's been going on??

Well, it turns out this whole "stay at home mom" deal actually means I have been busier than ever.  Two days a week volunteering at smiles, workouts at the Y, karate and dance, oh, and then next week I start working in the kids' class rooms, two days a week for Aidan and THREE for Lily.  My plate is FULL.  I LOVE IT.

The SMILES experience has been SO powerful.  The other day I worked with a young girl named Katie.  She couldn't talk, could walk but not well, she had tiny little hands, cute little glasses.  She was a doll.  When she was put on the horse she seemed so relaxed and happy.  She would reach for us but when we redirected her hand to the handles of the saddle, she complied.  We do various tasks on the horses.  For instance, the students might have to get something out of a mailbox and then place it in a bucket, or match colors, letters, etc.  Every time Katie completed a task and we told her how great she did, she smiled.  Sometimes she would raise her hands high in the air.  Katie couldn't verbalize her happiness, but you could still see it.   She really touched my heart.  After class was over and I watcher her laboriously trying to walk off of the ramp I found myself tearing up.  This sweet girl made a huge impression on my heart.  She made my pool of gratitude even deeper.  I was overwhelmed.  Had to sit in my car a little while to soak it in.  I love being there, I love the horses so much, and the students are such an inspiration.  This experience is an amazing gift.

....That's all for now.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment