Tuesday, March 13, 2012

SIX years?

Oh Lil.  Six years old already?  How can this be?!!

I am writing this on your birthday "eve", and also on the MOST beautiful day we have had this year!  It's warm and sunny, all the little critters are peeking out and making themselves known.  It's pretty much perfect.  Pretty much like you, my sweet girl.

I spent this morning volunteering at your school.  You see, this year I made some personal changes so that volunteering at your school was something that I could do on a very regular basis.  Seeing as how you are in kindergarten now and seeing as how I will never have a kindergartner ever again, it was not optional.  I needed to share this time with you.  I wanted to be present, to soak up the wonder that is you and your world.  I gotta tell you, kiddo, it has been a tremendous journey and definitely one of the best decisions I have ever made.

You have learned so much this year, and you have grown so much.  Sometimes, I forget that you are only six years old.  When you speak, it is precise.  Your annunciation is crisp, your articulation is perfection, your vocabulary--far beyond any other six year old I have ever met.  There are times when I am talking with you that  I feel like I am talking to a long lost aunt or something!!  An aunt with fascinating stories and an awesome sense of humor.  It is easy to forget that you are still just a little girl.

Last night you and I had a sleep over.  We do this from time to time.  Boys sleep in mom and dad's bed and you and I sleep upstairs in your room.  I get the trundle and you get the top bed!  I was lying there last night listening to you suck on your fingers and I realized that is all the baby that is left in you. When you sleep, I still see that little, tiny baby who needed me for everything. 

Nowadays, you do it all on your own.  You make your cereal in the morning, you pick out your clothes, you get dressed (more on this one later), you pack your backpack, you even make your own sandwich for lunch.  You are SO independent!! It is awesome, but it also breaks my heart just a tad.

Lets talk fashion for a minute, Lily.  This is an area where you totally think outside the box!  I always let you wear whatever YOU choose.  You choose color, and pattern, and accessories, and FUN!  It is truly delightful.  I vow to never stifle that creativity, my dear one.  In fact, taking pictures of your ensembles is one of the greatest joys in my life:




This year you have really come into your own.  If I had to describe you in one word, it would be fierce.  Fierce in your determination, fierce in your strength, fiercely competitive, fiercely creative.  You are such a strong girl, Lily.  I see a lot of me in you.  To be honest, the things about you that are most challenging for me, are the things about you that are most LIKE me.  We are strong willed ladies, my girl.  No matter how that may make us butt-heads sometimes, I want nothing less from you.  I love that you are passionate, and I love that determination in your spirit.  I love that you will stand up for what you believe in!  Nothing about you is meek.  You walk with purpose.  You make me proud. 

Sweet, sweet, Lily.  Thank you so much for another sparkly and spectacular year.  Watching you become YOU is a glorious ride.

xoxo,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment